A Singapore Government Agency Website A Singapore Government Agency Website How to identify
Official website links end with .gov.sg

Government agencies communicate via .gov.sg website
(e.g. go.gov.sg/open). Trusted websites

Secure websites use HTTPS

Look for a lock (Lock) or https:// as an added precaution.
Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Last Updated: 19 December 2022

1. Overview

You will need to register your private school, courses offered and teachers permitted to teach if your school offers education for 10 or more persons. These include:

  • Tuition centres that teach subjects taught in mainstream schools.
  • Enrichment centres.
  • Language, music, dance and art schools that prepare students to attain an official certificate for their respective craft.

You will need to register with the Committee for Private Education (CPE) if your private school:

  • Offers diploma or degree courses, or some form of post-secondary certification.
  • Offers full-time preparatory courses for entrance or placement tests to MOE mainstream schools, or for external examinations.
  • Offers full-time primary or secondary education that follows a foreign or international curriculum.
  • Is a privately-funded special education school.

If you are an operator of a child care centre or preschool, refer to the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA).

Changes to registration details

For registered schools, you will need to submit an amendment for the following changes:

Note: Registration with us does not mean we endorse or provide accreditation of the quality of your school, courses offered and teachers permitted to teach. It only gives private schools the right to operate when they have met the basic requirements. If you wish to indicate your school's registration status, you should only use the term “Registered with the Ministry of Education'.

Certificates you can issue

As a school, you may issue the following certificates to students:

  • Certificates for the successful completion of internal examinations or assessments conducted by your school.
  • Certificates for attendance or completion of the courses.
Note: We are not an accreditation authority on qualifications. Singapore does not have a central authority that recognises certificates, qualifications issued and courses of study offered by private schools. Recognition and acceptance of certificates for employment or further studies are entirely at the discretion of the individual prospective employer and academic institutions.