A Singapore Government Agency Website How to identify
Official website links end with .gov.sg

Government agencies communicate via .gov.sg website
(e.g. go.gov.sg/open). Trusted websites

Secure websites use HTTPS

Look for a lock () or https:// as an added precaution.
Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Last Updated: 17 August 2023

Change of school name

You will need to get our approval if you are changing your school's name. Learn about the considerations that you should make and the approval process.

Considerations for school name

You will need to take note of the following when thinking about a change of school name:

  • The name proposed should reflect the curriculum and type of courses to be offered by the school. For example, a language school named “—— Language School'.
  • Words such as ‘Singapore’, ‘National’, etc. should not be used as that would indicate ownership and links with the government.
  • If abbreviations are used in the proposed name, please state what they stand for.
  • The name of the school should be the name of the ACRA entity. For example, “ABC Tuition Centre' for sole-proprietorship and partnership business, and “ABC Tuition Centre Pte Ltd' for companies.

We reserve the right to refuse registration of any name proposed for a school which is deemed unsuitable or misleading.

How to get approval

You will need to get our approval for your school’s change of name online via GoBusiness Licensing.

Follow these steps when registering:

  1. Select “amend existing licence” under the “licence application” menu.
  2. Choose “Ministry of Education” as the government agency.

You do not need to submit any documents through GoBusiness Licensing. Upon completing the online registration, you will receive an acknowledgement email from us containing instructions on how to submit the required documents.

For technical assistance in GoBusiness Licensing, you can contact their helpdesk through:

Email: licences-helpdesk@crimsonlogic.com.sg
Tel: +65 6774 1430
Operation hours:
  • From 8am to 8pm on Mondays to Fridays
  • From 8am to 2pm on Saturdays

Documents required and how to submit

You will need to email the following to us:

1. Latest business profile from Bizfile+

File format  PDF 
File name format Name of School_Bizfile.pdf
Example ABC Tuition Centre Pte Ltd_Bizfile.pdf

2. One of the following, indicating a change in school name:

  • Note from owner, if sole-proprietorship
  • Note from partners, if ownership is a partnership business or a limited liability partnership
  • Directors' Resolution, if ownership of school is a company
File format  PDF 
File name format Name of School_Note/Directors resolution to change school name.pdf
Example ABC Tuition Centre_ Note/Directors resolution to change school name.pdf

You will also need to mail the Original Certificate of Registration of School and Classroom Accommodation Certificates, if available, to:

Private Schools Section
Ministry of Education
1 North Buona Vista Drive, Level 21
Singapore 138675

  • Indicate the name of your school, online application ID, date and specify “Change of school name” in the email subject.
  • Each file should not be more than 1MB.
  • The documents will be processed within 14 days upon our acceptance of the documents. Incomplete or incorrect submissions will delay the processing time.

After you submit your documents

If your documents are satisfactory, you will be notified of the approval through email or SMS. Or, you can check through GoBusiness Licensing.

You should pay the registration fee to GoBusiness Licensing within 60 days upon licence approval. If no payment is received after 60 days, your application will be considered voluntarily withdrawn and you will have to apply again.

You will receive the relevant certificates after all registration and administrative procedures have been successfully completed.