A Singapore Government Agency Website How to identify
Official website links end with .gov.sg

Government agencies communicate via .gov.sg website
(e.g. go.gov.sg/open). Trusted websites

Secure websites use HTTPS

Look for a lock () or https:// as an added precaution.
Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

All Schools to Benefit from Increased Capacity at New Outdoor Adventure Learning Centres

Published Date: 23 February 2024 09:00 AM

News Press Releases

The Ministry of Education (MOE) will be consolidating eight outdoor adventure education sites to four locations, which will allow all schools to conduct upper primary and lower secondary cohort camps at these sites. Together, these four locations are projected to fully meet the camping needs of some 100,000 students participating in cohort camps and uniformed group programmes each year, from 2032 onwards.

2. This will enhance the capacity and quality of outdoor education, which contributes significantly to the holistic development of students, particularly in 21st Century Competencies and values like resilience, responsibility and adaptability. These experiences also build students' confidence, enable them to appreciate diversity within a team, and help students develop a strong foundation for active and healthy living.

Consolidation of Sites for More Efficient Use of Land and Resources

3. Today, the eight existing sites – which comprise MOE Outdoor Adventure Learning Centres (OALCs) in Changi Coast, Dairy Farm, Jalan Bahtera, and Labrador, as well as campsites operated by the Singapore Scout Association, Girl Guides Singapore, Red Cross Youth, and the Boys' and Girls' Brigade – only meet about 60% of schools' camping needs. The remaining 40% of needs are met by schools conducting camps at external locations or within their school premises, which may not be purpose-built for outdoor adventure learning and camping.

4. The four consolidated locations include the existing Dairy Farm OALC, as well as two new OALCs to be built in Mandai and Sembawang. The location for a third new OALC is being studied in consultation with other government agencies, and details will be shared when ready.

5. As the three new OALCs can be built with better facilities to support camp programming, and can fully cater to camping needs of all schools together with Dairy Farm OALC, the other existing sites – the OALCs at Changi Coast, Jalan Bahtera, and Labrador, as well as the campsites used by the Singapore Scout Association, Girl Guides Singapore, Red Cross Youth, and the Boys' and Girls' Brigade – will be returned to the State when the new OALCs become operational to support Singapore's longer-term land use and development needs.


Potential for Greater Variety of Activities at New Mandai and Sembawang OALCs

6. The new OALCs will be designed to provide richer and authentic outdoor education experiences for students, while incorporating sustainable and safe practices. The centres will also utilise its surrounding green and blue corridors to create more journey-based expeditions for students to develop a greater affinity to nature, develop ruggedness and learn about sustainable living.

7. The Mandai OALC will be developed on the site currently occupied by the Mandai Executive Golf Course at Upper Seletar Reservoir after its tenancy expires. It will potentially allow students to participate in water activities1 and accommodate larger-scale camps by the Uniformed Groups.


8. The Sembawang OALC will be developed at a site near PAssion WaVe @ Sembawang. It will support water activities like kayaking and outrigger canoeing, and allow the Uniformed Groups to participate in land and sea expeditions.


Environmental Studies and Community Engagements

9. The exact site area and development of the Mandai and Sembawang OALCs will be guided by environmental impact assessments which are expected to commence in 2025. We will work in close consultation with the National Parks Board, the National Environment Agency, and national water agency PUB. For the preliminary phase, MOE has engaged nature groups such as Nature Society (Singapore) and Singapore Youth Voices for Biodiversity. We will also continue to engage and where possible, incorporate public feedback from stakeholders in the vicinity of the new OALC.

  1. The conduct of water activities at Mandai OALC will be determined after an environmental impact assessment.