Last Updated: 18 October 2022

Apply to a special education school

  • This page describes the application process from preschool to a SPED school.
  • If you are interested in transferring your child from their current mainstream school to a SPED school, please approach your child’s mainstream school Principal for guidance on the process.

Before you begin

You should:

  • List your child’s needs, interests, preferences and strengths.
  • Obtain insights from your child’s Early Intervention Programme for Infants and Children (EIPIC) and preschool teachers in writing.
  • Discuss with a health professional and get a professional assessment for your child.
  • Explore the different education pathways for your child.
  • Learn more about the schools and programmes they offer.
Select your language

Application process for special education schools

  • Only for applications from preschool to a SPED school. 
  • If your child is currently enrolled in a mainstream school, please approach your child’s mainstream school Principal to apply for a transfer to a SPED school. The following points do not apply to you and your child.

What you need to do:

  1. Identify 3 schools which you and your child's professional assess to be suitable for your child.
  2. Check your first choice school’s website to learn about the application process and deadline.
  3. Gather and attach all required documents. Applications will be processed only if all the required documents are submitted.
  4. *You are strongly encouraged to submit your SPED application online, with the required documents uploaded as attachments. Your application should include distinct school choices. The application will be sent to your first choice school for processing. 
  5. The school will arrange to meet you and your child, if necessary, to assess if your child's needs can be supported. If the application is successful, you will receive an offer letter from the school by post within 3 to 6 months from the date of application submission.
  6. Register your child at the school within 2 weeks from the day you receive the offer letter.
*You may download a soft copy of the SPED school application form for reference. You may refer to this guide to help you understand the SPED application process.
  • Find out more about the admissions timelines of the special education schools.
  • Applications may be delayed if there is missing or inaccurate information.
  • An alternative school will be recommended if your first choice school has no vacancies or is unable to cater to your child’s learning needs.

Work with a referring agency

You should work with a referring agency that will assist you with the application process, such as:

  • The mainstream or special education school that your child is currently enrolled in.
  • EIPIC centres, if your child is enrolled in one.
  • Social workers and counsellors from social service agencies.