A Singapore Government Agency Website How to identify
Official website links end with .gov.sg

Government agencies communicate via .gov.sg website
(e.g. go.gov.sg/open). Trusted websites

Secure websites use HTTPS

Look for a lock () or https:// as an added precaution.
Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Get a professional assessment for your child

A professional assessment will help children with special educational needs get the appropriate support. Learn how to get an assessment done and when it is needed.

Why an assessment is important

A qualified professional can help:

  • Provide a holistic profile of your child, including their strengths and difficulties in these areas:
    • Physical development.
    • Communication.
    • Learning.
    • Social-emotional functioning.
  • Give a clear diagnosis of your child's special educational needs.
  • Recommend practical and effective intervention and support for your child, including appropriate educational placement.

You will receive a report on your child's holistic profile, a diagnosis, and recommended support provisions and intervention strategies after the assessment.

What happens during an assessment

A professionally-conducted assessment of your child typically includes all of the following:

  • A range of standardised assessments in various developmental areas.
  • Interviews with parents, your child and others such as your child's teachers.
  • A careful analysis of findings from different sources.

Bring your child's medical records and school reports when going for an assessment.

When to do it

If you are applying to a special education school, we recommend getting the assessment done at least 6 months before the school's application deadline.

This will give you enough time to get:

  • All the documents needed for the application.
  • Inputs from early intervention, childcare or preschool professionals who know your child well.

Where to get assessed

At hospitals

To get a professional assessment and diagnosis of children below the age of 7, you can consult doctors, psychologists and therapists from:

You will be eligible for a subsidy if your child is referred to KKH and NUH by polyclinics and Community Health Assist Scheme (CHAS) clinics.

By qualified private professionals

You can also get your child assessed by qualified private professionals registered with the Singapore Register of Psychologists.

You should check to ensure the professional caters to private appointments, and has the relevant qualifications and experience before you engage them for an assessment.

The professional whom you choose should carry out the assessment in line with these Professional Practice Guidelines:
For children up to 6 years old
Developmental and Psycho-Educational Assessments and Provisions for Preschool-Aged Children.
For students from 6 to 18 years old
Psycho-educational Assessment & Placement of Students with Special Educational Needs.

Psychologists with email addresses ending with '.gov.sg' and '.org.sg' typically do not take private appointments.