A Singapore Government Agency Website How to identify
Official website links end with .gov.sg

Government agencies communicate via .gov.sg website
(e.g. go.gov.sg/open). Trusted websites

Secure websites use HTTPS

Look for a lock () or https:// as an added precaution.
Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Types of employment

Learn about the types of employment that can count towards serving your bond obligation.

You must start serving your 3-year bond immediately after graduation and submit an update on your employment status within 3 months. Therefore, we recommend that you start your job search early.

Acceptable employment

Only full-time employment after graduation will be considered towards serving your Service Obligation grant bond obligation. You may work for different companies for a cumulative period of 3 years.

These are the types of full-time employment that count towards serving your bond:

Local employment 

  • Full-time employee of a Singapore entity.
  • Self-employed person where the company is registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).

Overseas employment 

  • Secondment from a Singapore entity while remaining on the Singapore entity’s payroll.
  • Employee of an overseas subsidiary, or a joint venture of a Singapore entity which is more than 50% owned by the Singapore entity.
  • Employee in an overseas representative office of a Singapore entity while remaining on the Singapore entity’s payroll.
  • Employee of an overseas office with operating cash flow that is funded from the Singapore entity.
  • Singapore entity refers to a company incorporated in Singapore or a foreign company with a substantial connection to Singapore in accordance with the Singapore law.
  • An entity can be a business organisation such as a corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship, as well as non-business entities such as government agencies, non-profit organisations, and educational institution.

Job search strategies

  • Expand the modes of your job search by seeking advice from the career centre in your institution and registering with recruitment agencies.
  • Expand your job search efforts to areas outside of your immediate field of study.
  • Consider taking up short-term contracts to keep your resume and skills updated.
  • Ask your network to help you look out for opportunities and recommend you for job vacancies in their companies.
  • If you are an international student, obtain an S Pass or Employment Pass eligibility letter from your institution and attach it to your job application.