March 23, 2019
Winners of Inaugural Chinese Street Dance Competition 2019
1. 125 students from 25 primary schools participated in the Inaugural Chinese Street Dance Competition with a total of four awards presented. The grand finals were held on Saturday, 23 March at Suntec City.
2. Aspiring young dancers, aged seven to 12, were invited to participate in the competition to cultivate their love for the Chinese language and culture through music and dance. As part of the competition, they had to introduce their dance in Mandarin and demonstrate their interpretation of the lyrics of “爱上华文” (the theme song of the competition) through their dance moves.
3. There were 17 teams in total which submitted their dance videos and 10 teams were eventually shortlisted by a panel of judges and online votes.
4. During the grand finals, the 10 teams comprising 79 students from 19 schools performed their dance moves live in front of the audience. The top three winners received a trophy and cash prizes of $2,000, $1,500 and $1,000 respectively, while the Best Teamwork winner received a trophy and $500.
5. Jointly organised by the Committee to Promote Chinese Language and Learning (CPCLL) and Mandarin edutainment channel, MaxToon, the competition aimed to promote the learning of Chinese Language amongst primary school students through music and dance.
6. Chairperson of CPCLL, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Education Ms Low Yen Ling said, “We received overwhelming response for the inaugural street dance competition. Close to 27,000 votes were polled from online viewers who watched the audition videos. We hope this wave of enthusiasm will boost fresh interest and greater use of the Chinese language.”
7. Please see Annex for the list of finalists for the competition. For results of the competition, please visit www.cstreetdance.sg.