June 20, 2018
SYF 2018: A Vibrant Celebration of Youth Vitality
A total of over 5,500 students will participate in the 52nd Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) from June to August this year, in a celebration of youth voices, collaboration and inclusivity.
SYF 2018 Celebrations – 29 June to 08 July
2. Spanning two weekends, the SYF 2018 Celebrations, for one, will see more than 4,100 students from about 250 schools putting up close to 210 performances across multiple disciplines such as music, dance and drama.
3. This year, there are more platforms for students to showcase their artistic talents. In the city area, the celebrations will be expanded to three locations – National Gallery Singapore, The Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay and The National Library. To bring the celebrations closer to the public, performances will also be held at community spaces including Bukit Panjang Plaza, Jurong Regional Library and United Square Shopping Mall.
4. One of the key highlights of the SYF 2018 Celebrations is the Festival Concert on 30 June at the Esplanade Theatre. The concert will showcase an array of high-energy performances including Dance Tapestry, a collaborative performance between the Chinese, Malay, Indian and Modern Dance CCAs of Yio Chu Kang Secondary and multimedia artists from Nanyang Girls’ High School, culminating in a mesmerising display of colours and movement.
5. To empower our students’ voice and choice, SYF 2018 Celebrations provides them the space to articulate their thoughts and express their feelings through the arts. This includes opportunities to write the SYF festival song, design the SYF logo and even co-devise drama scripts and co-create music compositions.
6. There has also been an increased effort this year to provide students with mentorship opportunities with arts industry professionals, including local pop band, 53A, and local playwright, Mr. Chong Tze Chien, to gain deeper insights into creative processes. In total, about 20 groups of students have been receiving mentorship for the SYF 2018 Celebrations, up from four groups last year.
7. This year’s SYF Celebrations continues to promote collaboration and celebrate inclusivity. Students from all backgrounds, including those with Special Educational Needs, have been given opportunities to work together on an array of inter-disciplinary and inter-CCA performances. Through such collaboration, students learn from one another and develop important values such as teamwork and empathy.
SYF 2018 Art Exhibition – 03 July to 03 August
8. Besides the Celebrations, the SYF 2018 Art Exhibition also provides students with opportunities to showcase their creative ideas, aspirations and artistic expressions. This year, students have created artworks to inspire positive changes in the community, in response to the theme ‘Artist and Citizenship’. Through the process of artistic exploration, students were able to connect with and respond to issues they had observed in the world around them.
9. Over 400 artworks by about 1,400 student-artists from close to 120 schools will be featured at the National Gallery Singapore and on the SYF Online Gallery from 3 July to 3 August.
10. Since its inception in 1966, the SYF has been a pivotal platform for students to hone their artistic skills. Through the various SYF activities, students have also developed social skills and formed friendships with teammates of different socio-ethnic backgrounds.
11. For the full list of events, please refer to Annex A and the following SYF platforms: