August 22, 2020
Seven New MOE Kindergartens Opening in 2023
1. MOE will be opening seven new MOE Kindergartens (MKs) across Singapore in 2023. This is part of our planned expansion to have at least 60 MKs by 2025, to provide parents with more choices for quality and affordable pre-school places.
2. All seven MKs will be sited within primary schools and offer Kindergarten Care (KCare) services, each offering about 120 Kindergarten 1 (K1) places. Please refer to the Annex for the locations of the new MKs. With the opening of these seven MKs, we will have 50 MKs by 2023, providing a total of about 7,200 K1 places.
3. The seven new MKs will collaborate with Early Years Centres (EYCs) operated by PCF Sparkletots. This collaboration provides a continuum of quality and affordable pre-school services for children aged two months to six years old. Under the MK-Anchor Operator EYC pilot announced in February 2017, all eligible Singapore Citizen and Permanent Resident Nursery 2 (N2) children who are enrolled in these EYCs will be offered a K1 place in a nearby partner MK. Please refer to the Annex for details of the PCF EYCs partnering the seven MKs.
4. MK places will also be available for children who do not come from these EYCs. Registration for admission to K1 in 2023 for the seven new MKs will take place in Feb 2022. The registration exercise will be open to Singapore Citizen and Singapore Permanent Resident children born between 2 January 2018 and 1 January 2019 (both dates inclusive). Details of the exercise will be released in early 2022.
5. For parents who require a full-day care service for their child, KCare services are available in all school-based MKs from Mondays to Fridays, 7am to 7pm. For more information, please visit www.moe.gov.sg/mk.
The MOE Kindergarten experience
6. MKs nurture children to be confident with strong social skills and have a good foundation in literacy and numeracy. At MKs, children engage in learning through relevant real-world activities with a distinctive Singapore flavour. As all MKs offer three Mother Tongue Languages (MTLs) – Chinese, Malay and Tamil, MK children are bilingual. In addition, MKs collaborate closely with the primary schools they are sited within, which further supports children's transition from Kindergarten to Primary 1.
7. For more information about MKs, please visit www.moe.gov.sg/mk.