August 29, 2018
President’s Award For Teachers 2018
1. Eight outstanding educators received the 2018 President’s Award for Teachers (PAT) from President Halimah Yacob at the Istana during the Teachers’ Day Reception on Wednesday, 29 August 2018. They are (not in order of merit):
- Ms Goh Wai Leng, Geylang Methodist School (Primary);
- Mdm S Nirmala Devi, Guangyang Primary School;
- Mr Matthew Ong Yong Cheng, St Andrew's Junior School;
- Ms Ng Sheh Feng, Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary School;
- Mr Edzra Bin Iskandar, Bedok South Secondary School;
- Dr Lim Yi-En, National Junior College;
- Mr Teo Keng Ann, Singapore Polytechnic;
- Ms Tan Lay Khee, Temasek Polytechnic.
2. Since 2017, the PAT has been extended to include educators from the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) and polytechnics. This is in recognition of their important role in technical and vocational education, as well as lifelong learning.
3. The eight PAT 2018 recipients are caring and nurturing educators, dedicated to the holistic development of their students. They are committed to developing their students to their fullest potential, and they adopt innovative approaches in their lessons. As role models, these teachers are lifelong learners and mentors to their peers. They were chosen from 2,571 teachers nominated this year by school leaders, teachers, parents, former and current students.
4. The eight recipients were selected by a panel chaired by Ms Denise Phua, Chairperson of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Education. The panel comprised representatives from the Ministry of Education (MOE), COMmunity and PArents in Support of Schools (COMPASS), and Post-Secondary Education Institutions (PSEIs). The list of the 15 PAT 2018 finalists is in the Annex. The General Education (Pri, Sec, JC/CI) finalists will receive their PAT certificates at the Academy Awards for Professional Development (PD) ceremony by MOE’s Academy of Singapore Teachers, while the PSEIs (ITE and Polytechnics) PAT finalists will receive their PAT certificates at an institution-level event. They will also receive a professional development grant to attend any overseas/local conferences, seminars and courses, or to purchase PD resources.