July 02, 2019
OYEA 2019 - National Honours for Inspirational Young Educators
1. In recognition of their inspirational teaching and unwavering dedication to their students, six young teachers received the Outstanding Youth in Education Award (OYEA) from Second Minister for Education, Ms Indranee Rajah, at the National Institute of Education (NIE) Teachers’ Investiture Ceremony on Tuesday, 2 July 2019. The recipients are (not in order of merit):
- Ms Abirami d/o Archunan, 31, CHIJ (Kellock);
- Mr Martin Goh Poh Huat, 31, Temasek Primary School;
- Mr Ow Yeong Wai Kit, 31, Bukit Batok Secondary School;
- Mr Joel Tan Han Rong, 30, Fairfield Methodist School (Secondary);
- Ms Angela Ho Jiawen, 29, Serangoon Garden Secondary School; and
- Mr Lim Chuan Li, 30, Temasek Junior College.
2. These six recipients have demonstrated a strong belief that education is about nurturing students holistically, including their character, moral and citizenship development. As teachers, they have distinguished themselves by helping students discover the joy of learning and nurturing them as resilient problem-solvers, critical thinkers, and individuals with empathy for others.
3. In addition to honouring the achievements of young educators, OYEA aims to inspire youths to take up teaching as a profession. The recipients have collaborated actively with stakeholders including parents, volunteers and the public to contribute to the teaching and learning community, serving as role models to inspire other young educators. The OYEA recipients will attend a fully sponsored overseas professional development programme and share their learning with the
4. The OYEA recipients were selected from 12 finalists (Annex A), by a panel comprising representatives from MOE, NIE, the National Youth Council and members of MOE’s COMPASS (COMmunity and PArents in Support of Schools) group. In total, there were 4,103 nominations from schools and members of the public, for 1,380 teachers from 298 schools.