July 04, 2016
OYEA 2016 National Honours for Inspirational Young Educators
1. In recognition of their inspiring teaching and unwavering dedication to their students, five young teachers received the Outstanding Youth in Education Award (OYEA) from Mr Ng Chee Meng, Acting Minister for Education (Schools), at the National Institute of Education (NIE) Teachers’ Investiture Ceremony on Monday, 4 July 2016. They are (not in order of merit):
- Ms Nurul Munirah Bte Abdul Samad, 32, from CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls’ School (Primary);
- Mr Joel Prathiev Vinson, 30, from First Toa Payoh Primary School;
- Ms Toh Xin Yi Sheena, 30, from Seng Kang Primary School;
- Mr Cai Zhiwen, 32, from Juying Secondary School; and
- Mr Low Wei Chuan, 29, from Nan Hua High School.
2. The OYEA is a national award that recognises young teachers for their commendable enthusiasm, energy and active involvement in youth development. Since its inception in 1999, 60 outstanding young educators, including this year’s winners, have received the award.
3. Selected from 12 shortlisted finalists, the five winners strongly believe that education is about nurturing the child holistically. They are committed to the character, moral and citizenship development of students. These teachers have also distinguished themselves by adopting innovative approaches both in and outside the classroom. They are highly dedicated in motivating their students to bring out their full potential. Please refer to Annex A for more information on the award winners.
4. The OYEA winners were selected by the OYEA Selection Panel, comprising representatives from the Ministry of Education, NIE, the National Youth Council, and COMmunity and PArents in Support of Schools (COMPASS). A total of 4,037 nominations from the schools and members of the public were received for 1,005 teachers from 260 schools in 2016.
5. Besides honouring the achievements of young educators, OYEA aims to inspire youths to take up teaching as a fulfilling profession. Besides receiving a trophy and citation certificate, all the OYEA winners will be fully sponsored to attend an overseas professional development programme, after which, they will share the application of their learning at cluster or national platforms with the fraternity. The list of the OYEA 2016 finalists is in Annex B. More information on the nomination criteria and period can be found here: