July 21, 2020
Institutes of Higher Learning Enhance Support for Class of 2020 in Broadening Their Skills
1. To support fresh graduates from the Class of 2020 in broadening their skillsets and accessing more opportunities across sectors, the Institutes of Higher Learning (IHLs) are offering three- to six-month programmes which lead to micro-credentials or certifications:
- More than 250 Nitec and Higher Nitec module certificates for Institute of Technical Education (ITE) fresh graduates as well as graduates who will complete full-time National Service in 2020,
- More than 100 Post-Diploma Certificates for polytechnic fresh graduates as well as graduates who will complete full-time National Service in 2020,
- More than 100 micro-credentials for fresh graduates of the Autonomous Universities (AUs).
2. These pathways can be achieved by stacking the earlier-announced complimentary Continuing Education and Training (CET) modules, and are part of MOE's and the IHLs continued support for the Class of 2020 in further deepening their skills amidst the uncertain economic outlook.
Support from the Institute of Technical Education and the Polytechnics
3. Since April 2020, ITE and the polytechnics have offered their graduates from the Class of 2020 at least two complimentary CET modules or course credits. Graduates may choose from about 1,000 CET modules. Of these, more than half can now be stacked into certificates. This includes more than 250 Nitec and Higher Nitec module certificates in areas such as hospitality operations, international logistics, engineering, network security and robotics, and more than 100 Post-Diploma Certificates in areas such as artificial intelligence, biotechnology, building information modelling, business analytics, financial accounting and user experience design. These provisions are available to more than 45,000 Singaporean Citizen (SC) and Permanent Resident (PR) graduates from ITE and the polytechnics, including alumni who will complete their full-time National Service in 2020. More details on the types of certificates offered by these institutions can be found in Table 1 of the Annex.
Support from the Autonomous Universities
4. Since May 2020, 16,000 SC and PR graduates – those who completed full-time undergraduate degree courses across the six AUs this year – have been granted access to four complimentary CET modules each. Of the approximate 1,700 free CET modules available, about one-third can now be stacked to form over 100 micro-credentials spread across various domains, such as business analytics, communications, digital marketing strategies, and gerontology. More details on the type of micro-credentials offered by the AUs can be found in Table 2 of the Annex.
5. Details on the CET modules, certificates and additional support measures for each IHL's Class of 2020 are available on their respective websites. Graduates can also approach their respective IHLs for further advice on how to deepen their skills.