August 25, 2016
Celebrating Students’ Holistic Achievements
A total of 109 students received this year’s Special Awards from Mr Ng Chee Meng, Acting Minister for Education (Schools), at the 2016 Special Awards Presentation Ceremony today. The annual Special Awards recognises students’ achievements in both the academic and non-academic spheres.
2. This year sees the establishment of a new award, The Lee Kuan Yew Exemplary Student Award, and the enhancements to The Lee Kuan Yew Award for All-Round Excellence. These were made possible by donations made in the name of Mr Lee Kuan Yew after his passing in 2015. Details are in the table below:
|The Lee Kuan Yew Exemplary Student Award (LKY-ESA)
- The LKY-ESA is a new award that honours students in government-funded special education (SPED) schools who have risen above their inherent disabilities and challenges to motivate and inspire their peers.
- All 20 SPED schools will be invited to nominate at least one student per year for the award.
- The first award will be given out in 2017.
|The Lee Kuan Yew Award for All-Round Excellence (LKY-ARE)
- The number of awards given out at the secondary level will be increased to 12 awards.
- The award will be extended to the primary level, with a total of 12 awards.
- The enhancements will take effect from 2017.
3. More information on the nine Awards presented at this year’s Special Awards Presentation Ceremony can be found in Annex A while the list of awardees can be found in Annex B.