A Singapore Government Agency Website A Singapore Government Agency Website How to identify
Official website links end with .gov.sg

Government agencies communicate via .gov.sg website
(e.g. go.gov.sg/open). Trusted websites

Secure websites use HTTPS

Look for a lock (Lock) or https:// as an added precaution.
Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Emotional Counselling and Support

Published Date: 13 September 2016 12:00 AM

News Parliamentary Replies

Name and Constituency of Member of Parliament

Dr Lim Wee Kiak, Sembawang GRC


To ask the Acting Minister for Education (Schools) (a) how do schools create awareness among the students to offer their help to those who need emotional counselling and support; (b) what happens when a student needs emotional help outside of school hours; and (c) how do schools go about strengthening the mental well-being and resilience of students to face challenges.


1. Our teachers explicitly teach social-emotional skills and coping strategies from Primary School through to Secondary School.

2. Our schools also provide opportunities to build resilience when students experience, manage and overcome challenges through Co-Curricular Activities and outdoor education programmes, including camps.

3. Schools work with parents and provide them with resources to help reinforce these skills and a resilient mindset at home and facilitate parenting workshops through the Parent Support Groups.

4. Our teachers are trained to identify students in distress and to refer them for counselling support by professionally trained School Counsellors. Students are also taught to look out for one another and to seek help from trusted adults if they cannot cope.

5. Awareness is further strengthened through posters, helplines and student handbooks.

6. Schools refer students and families requiring support to family service centres in the community, or to mental health professionals.

7. Outside of school hours, 24-hour helplines are available. Parents can also bring their children to seek medical help from their family doctor or the nearest hospital.

Share this article: