Our goal in education is to provide every child with the opportunity to develop holistically and maximise his or her potential. In creating opportunities for all, MOE will ensure that every school is a good school.
What Makes A Good School?
- A good school cares for its students, studying and knowing the needs, interests and strengths of her students and motivates them to learn and grow.
- A good school ensures all students acquire strong fundamentals of literacy and numeracy and develops them holistically, in character, knowledge and critical competencies.
- A good school creates a positive school experience for each student, making him a confident and lifelong learner.
- A good school has caring and competent teachers who are steadfast in their mission to impact lives.
- A good school has the support of parents and the community, working together to bring out the best in our children, and
- A good school cares for and provides opportunities to all students, regardless of family circumstances.
View our “Choosing a Primary School” video and infographic to find out more about the factors for parents to consider when choosing a primary school that meets their child’s needs.
Developing Good Schools
Resourcing Our Schools to Offer Customised Programmes
Schools have been resourced to offer customised programmes such as Holistic Assessment, Values in Action and Programme for Active Learning to meet the needs of students. Different schools also offer a variety of programmes to develop the varied interests and abilities of their students.
Raising The Professional Standards Of Teachers Across The System
Teaching is a calling. It is about touching lives. Many teachers go beyond their call of duty and the extra mile for the students.
We now have about 32,000 education officers, an increase of 4,000 from five years ago, and 2,200 Allied Educators under the Allied Educator Scheme that was started in 2009.
Since the Academy of Singapore Teachers (AST) started in 2011, almost 300 learning communities have been established for teachers to learn from each other within and across schools, providing various platforms where teachers can expand their repertoire of strategies to enrich their students’ learning, and learn from each other as well as experienced practitioners and partners.
Encouraging Learning And Innovation Across Schools
Our schools share best practices through many platforms. Educators and school staff will come together to learn about the many good efforts and innovations in our schools, and collaborate with one another to develop programmes to facilitate the students’ learning.
MOE ExCEL Fest is one such platform. It is an annual event that features exciting and innovative practices in schools. It is also where parents and members of the public can find out more about the latest developments in our schools.
Promoting Partnerships Between School and Community.
Parents play a key role in providing a supportive environment for our children to learn, and the community enrich learning through the opportunities they provide.
Partnerships between the school and the community complement the school’s efforts to meet the developmental needs of every student, help the students feel a stronger sense of belonging to the community, and shape the educational journey of our children.