The Tamil Language Elective Scholarship (TLES) is offered by the Ministry of Education to encourage academically able and linguistically talented students to study Tamil Language and Literature at H2 level under the Tamil Language Elective Programme (TLEP). The TLES is available at the following centres at the Pre-University level:
- Be Singapore Citizens;
- Have done consistently well in school and obtained outstanding results in their GCE O-Level Examination or equivalent based on their IP schools’ internal assessment;
- Have obtained at least an A2 in Tamil or B3 in Higher Tamil or B4 in Higher Tamil with B3 in Tamil Literature;
- Have successfully been admitted to TLEP in one of the TLEP centres;
- Have a very good co-curricular activities record;
- Have good conduct record; and
- Not currently be in receipt of any MOE scholarship (except Edusave Scholarships).
2020 application is now closed. 2021 application will open after the official release of the GCE O-Level Examination results in January 2021.
Selection for Scholarship Awards
Completed IP applications will be forwarded to respective IP Schools/JCs for nomination/recommendation. IP candidates nominated/recommended by your IP Schools/JCs will be invited for the scholarship selection interview.
Non-IP candidates will be selected for the scholarship selection interview based on GCE O-Level Examinations results.
The scholarship selection interviews will be conducted in April/May. Interview details will be forwarded to candidates’ email account in April.
Results of the scholarship selection will be announced in June. Please note that only successful candidates will be notified.
Terms And Conditions
The scholarship provides an allowance of $1,000 per annum. It also covers school fees based on Singapore Citizens’ rates less any subsidies, subject to an annual cap of $2,400. It is tenable for 2 years, subject to satisfactory progress at the end of JC1 and good conduct. Successful applicants are not required to enter into a bond to serve the Singapore Government.
Successful applicants must offer H2 Tamil Language and Literature. There is no restriction on the choice of the remaining subjects.
Successful applicants are required to participate in the Overseas Immersion Programme and other compulsory TLEP activities organised by the school and the Ministry of Education.