The Music Elective Scholarship (MES) is offered by the Ministry of Education to encourage academically able and musically talented students to pursue the rigorous music programme at H2 and H3 level under the Music Elective Programme (MEP). The MES is available at the following centres:
- Be Singapore Citizens;
- Have done consistently well in school and obtained outstanding results in their GCE O-Level Examinations or equivalent based on their IP school’s internal assessment;
- Have obtained at least an A1 in Music or an A2 in Higher Music;
- Have successfully been admitted to MEP in one of the MEP centres;
- Have a very good co-curricular activities record;
- Have good conduct record; and
- Not currently be in receipt of any other MOE scholarship (except Edusave Scholarships).
Short-listed candidates are required to submit a personal portfolio comprising either:
- a video-taped performance on an instrument of their choice comprising 1-2 works (or movements) lasting between 4-7 minutes in total; or
- a composition portfolio comprising 1-2 works lasting between 2-5 minutes each with accompanying audio recording of the work(s)
Short-listed candidates will be given 1 week's notice to submit the personal portfolio online and thereafter, required to attend an interview. For the Performance Portfolio, candidates must submit a recent recording that is recorded not more than 3 months before the deadline of the portfolio submission.
2020 application is now closed. 2021 application will open after the official release of the GCE O-Level Examination results in January 2021.
Selection of Scholarship Awards
Completed IP application will be forwarded to their respective IP Schools/JCs for nomination/recommendation. IP candidates nominated/recommended by their IP Schools/JCs will be invited for the scholarship selection interview.
Non-IP candidates will be selected for the scholarship selection interview based on their GCE O-Level Examinations results. Non-IP candidates admitted to the MEP during or after the Joint Admissions Exercise will be invited for the selection interview if they meet the short-listing criteria.
Non-IP candidates admitted to the MEP during the Direct School Admission Exercise and meet the short-listing criteria will be invited for the selection interview. Non-IP DSA candidates must fulfil nomination criteria of schools/JCs if they have been admitted to the schools/JCs through DSA based on special achievement in Music.
The scholarship selection interviews will be conducted in late April. Interview details will be forwarded to candidates’ email account in early April.
Results of the scholarship selection will be announced in June. Please note that only successful candidates will be notified.
Terms And Conditions
The scholarship provides an allowance of $1,000 per annum. It also covers school fees based on Singapore Citizens’ rates less any subsidies, subject to an annual cap of $2,400. It is tenable for 2 years, subject to satisfactory progress at the end of JC1 and good conduct. Successful applicants are not required to enter into a bond to serve the Singapore Government.
Successful applicants must offer IBDP Music / H2 and H3 Music. There is no restriction on the choice of the remaining subjects.
Successful applicants are required to participate in the MEP activities organised by the school and the Ministry of Education.