Foreign Student Admissions

A foreigner intending to study in a Singapore private school will have to seek a place in the school concerned and apply for a student pass at the Visitor Services Centre. Enquiries can be directed to:

Immigration and Checkpoints Authority
10, Kallang Road
Singapore 208718
Tel: (65) 6391 6100

ICA's website contains more information regarding application for a student's pass.

A prospective foreign student should establish that:

Prospective students could request to view the registration certificate, and the letters of permission for the course(s) and teacher(s) issued by MOE to the school(s).

As there is a wide variety of programmes offered by private schools, it is more practical for these programmes and their quality to be subject to the test of the market. The various efforts by the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE), SPRING Singapore and the industry will also ensure better standards as well as to protect the interests of students.

CaseTrust for Education Scheme

The CaseTrust for Education scheme has been customised specifically by CASE to enhance the confidence of foreign students and their parents in ensuring that there are protection of student fees, transparency in transactions and fair contractual terms in our private schools in Singapore. CASE’s website contains a list of CaseTrusted Private Education Organizations (PEOs)

Singapore Quality Class (SQC) for PEO Scheme

There is also the Singapore Quality Class (SQC) for PEO scheme to recognise PEO that have attained a commendable level of business excellence based on the Singapore Quality Award (SQA) framework and requirements in the private education sector. The scheme is administered by SPRING Singapore. For the list of PEOs who are SQC-certified, please visit SPRING Singapore's website.

Foreign System Schools in Singapore

In the main, foreign system schools cater to the educational needs of children of expatriates working here. These schools, eg German School, Hollandse School, Japanese School, Lycee Francaise, etc, follow closely the national curriculum of their home country. In addition to these, there are also foreign system schools which enrol not only children of expatriates working here but also other foreign students. Examples are the schools which function on the American, Australian, British, or Canadian system of education using English as the medium of instruction. The levels of education available vary from school to school and certain schools offer pre-school / kindergarten through high school education. Special education is also available at certain foreign system schools, such as Dover Court Preparatory School.

There are also supplementary schools set up and operated by the Finnish, Italian, Norwegian and Swedish communities. These are schools usually run on weekends and which offer courses covering language and culture of the respective community. Generally, students of supplementary schools study ‘full-time’ in the foreign system schools.

For more information, view the complete listing of foreign system schools (68kb .doc).

Employment of Foreign Students

Student Pass (STP) holders are allowed to work in Singapore without a work pass only if they have been granted Work Pass exemption under the Employment of Foreign Manpower (Work Pass Exemptions) Notification. Under this notification, STP holders from selected schools are either allowed to work full-time during vacation and part-time (not more than 16 hours) during the school term, or only full-time during vacation, without the need to apply for a Work Pass.

For STP holders who are not granted Work Pass exemption, they will need to apply for a Work Pass if they wish to work in Singapore. Please note that any form of industrial attachment or work training is considered as work under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.

For more details, please visitt the Ministry of Manpower’s (MOM) website.