July 04, 2016
Start of 2016 School Placement Exercise for Returning Singaporeans
School Placement Exercise
1. The 2016 School Placement Exercise for Returning Singaporeans (SPERS) is open for registration from 5 July 2016 for Singaporean children who are returning from overseas and wish to join our secondary schools, junior colleges (JC) or Millennia Institute (MI) at the beginning of academic year 2017. The registration can be done online at the following links:
2. SPERS is a centralised placement exercise held at the end of the year for Returning Singaporeans (RS). With SPERS, Singaporean parents working abroad can look forward to easier re-entry into the mainstream school system for their children when they return to Singapore. RS children will only need to sit for one set of centralised SPERS tests for school admission.
3. RS children seeking admission to Secondary (Sec) 1 to 3 in 2017 can take the SPERS-Sec tests on 23 September 2016. RS seeking admission to Pre-University (Pre-U) 1 can take the SPERS-JC/MI tests on 17 November 2016. As Sec 4 and Pre-U 2 are national examination years, RS generally would not re-join at these levels. Applicants will receive their school placement results in December 2016 and will be able to join our secondary schools and JC/MI at the start of the school term in early 2017.
Supplementary Placement Exercise
4. For RS who are unable to return in time to take the SPERS-Sec tests in September 2016, MOE will also conduct a Supplementary Placement Exercise in December 2016 to facilitate their admission into our secondary schools. The centralised tests for the Supplementary Placement Exercise will be held in mid-December 2016. Applicants will receive their school placement results in early February 2017 for school admissions from February 2017. Registration for the Supplementary Placement Exercise will open in October 2016.
5. While RS can choose to take part in either the SPERS-Sec or the Supplementary Placement Exercise, RS are advised to register for SPERS-Sec if they are able to return in September as their children would benefit from starting the 2017 academic year in January together with their peers.
6. Details of the 2016 SPERS-Sec and SPERS-JC/MI exercises and the Supplementary Placement Exercise can be found in the Annex. For more details and registration, please refer to the MOE RS website at https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/returning-singaporeans/ or contact us at the following:
MOE Customer Service Centre
1 North Buona Vista Drive
Tel: 6872 2220
(Mon-Fri: 8am-6pm / Sat: 8am -1pm)
7. RS who are unable to participate in the centralised placement exercises may wish to refer to the MOE RS website or contact MOE for other options for school admission.
8. RS seeking admission to primary schools may approach MOE at any time of the year for assistance. MOE will offer the RS a place in a primary school with vacancies near the child’s home at a level appropriate for the child’s age cohort. The RS will not have to sit for any placement test for admission, although the primary school may conduct assessment tests after admission to ascertain the child’s current attainment level and provide the appropriate assistance to help the child settle into the school.