March 13, 2014
Registration of Instructors Offering Co-Curricular and Enrichment Activities to Schools
1.Instructors offering co-curricular and enrichment activities to schools will be required to register with the Ministry of Education (MOE). The registration aims to help schools better assess the suitability of instructors in conducting the co-curricular and enrichment activities.
2.From January 2015, all government, government-aided, independent, specialised independent and specialised schools will only engage the services of instructors who are registered with MOE in the following areas:
- Co-curricular Activities (CCA) coaches and instructors;
- Art and Music Scheme (AMIS) instructors;
- Programme for Active Learning (PAL) instructors;
- Conversational Chinese/Malay instructors;
- Instructors for activities that involve overnight stay or overseas trips with students;
- All other instructors of school-based co-curricular and enrichment activities with duration of 20 hours or more per contract (for example, one term of weekly two-hour sessions).
3.Instructors in the listed areas may apply to register with MOE from 19 March 2014. Application procedures are available at http://www.moe.gov.sg/coaches-instructors. As some schools may begin procuring instructor services for 2015 from June 2014, instructors are encouraged to register by June 2014.
4.The instructors will be holistically evaluated based on the following:
- Age (should be at least 18 years of age);
- Area of specialisation;
- Relevant qualifications and experience to the activity concerned (if available);
- Employment history;
- Registration with a relevant professional body (if available);
- Self-declaration form.
5.All applicants will be notified by email on the outcome about six weeks after their application. Instructors’ registered status will be valid for two years. Instructors who wish to continue providing such activities are advised to reapply for registration with MOE at least three months prior to the expiry of their registered status.
6.Instructors not covered under the listed areas will need to register under a second phase. The second phase comprises instructors engaged for school-based co-curricular and enrichment activities (academic and non-academic) that are more than eight hours (but fewer than 20 hours) per contract. The second phase is expected to commence in 2016. Thereafter, schools will only engage the services of instructors in the second phase if they are registered with MOE. More details on implementation of the second phase will be released in the last quarter of 2014.