July 11, 2018
OYEA 2018 – National Honours for Inspirational Young Educators
1. In recognition of their inspiring teaching and unwavering dedication to their students, six young teachers received the Outstanding Youth in Education Award1 (OYEA) at the National Institute of Education (NIE) Teachers’ Investiture Ceremony on Wednesday, 11 July 2018. The recipients are (not in order of merit):
- Mr Ong Wei Li Willy, 32, Fernvale Primary School;
- Miss Sylvianne Devajothi, 28, Haig Girls’ School;
- Miss Tan Si Hua, 32, Juying Primary School;
- Miss Goh Peishi, 34, Crescent Girls’ School;
- Mr Muhammad Khaliq s/o Mohd Saleem, 34, Meridian Secondary School; and
- Mr Wong Yi Fong, 31, Unity Secondary School.
2. These six recipients have demonstrated their strong belief that education is about nurturing our students holistically, including their character, moral and citizenship development. These teachers have distinguished themselves by adopting innovative teaching approaches and bringing out the full potential of their students. They have also worked actively with other teachers, serving as role models to inspire other young educators.
3. The OYEA recipients – selected from 11 finalists (Annex A) – were chosen by a selection panel comprising representatives from MOE, NIE, the National Youth Council and members of MOE’s COMPASS (COMmunity and PArents in Support of Schools) group. A total of 2,277 nominations from schools and members of the public were received for 697 teachers from 210 schools.
4. Besides honouring the achievements of young educators, OYEA aims to inspire youths to take up teaching as a fulfilling profession. Each of the OYEA recipients will receive a trophy, citation certificate, and be fully sponsored to attend an overseas professional development programme. After this programme, they will be able to share their professional learning with the education fraternity.