December 29, 2015
New Government Junior College To Be Named Eunoia Junior College
1. Catholic High School, CHIJ St Nicholas Girls’ School and Singapore Chinese Girls’ School will offer a Joint Integrated Programme (IP) for students in a new Government Junior College (JC) called, ‘Eunoia’ (pronounced yoo-noh-iea), starting 2017. This was announced today by Acting Minister for Schools, Mr Ng Chee Meng, at MOE’s Appointment and Appreciation Ceremony for Principals.
2. The IP provides an integrated six-year secondary and JC education for those who are academically strong and who can benefit from engaging in broader learning experiences during their secondary and JC years. Through the IP, these students can proceed to JC without taking the GCE O-Level Examinations. The IP aims to stretch the
students’ potential in non-academic aspects that are beyond the academic curriculum. The new Eunoia JC will also accept O-Level students through the Joint Admissions Exercise (JAE). The first batch of IP students and O-Level students will start at the JC in 2017.
3. ‘Eunoia’ refers to beautiful thinking and goodwill towards others, alluding to the convergence of the heart and mind, which is one of the key tenets of the College’s vision, “Thinkers with Heart”. This choice of name also demonstrates not only the College’s commitment to nurture students with outstanding academic abilities, but its belief in the importance of building character and wisdom in tandem with intellectual pursuits. This is in line with the vision, ethos and desired student outcomes of the College, “Every Eunoian a Youth with Purpose, Thinker with Heart, Leader with Courage”. (Please see Annex for details).
Eunoia Junior College’s key personnel
4. Mdm Cheang Mei Heng was appointed as the Principal of the JC in 2014.
Mdm Cheang brings with her rich and diverse experiences in education, including previous appointments as the founding Principal of Compassvale Secondary School, the Principal of Serangoon Junior College, as well as a
Cluster Superintendent in the Ministry of Education. Since her appointment as Principal of Eunoia JC, she has worked on designing the Joint IP curriculum and developing flagship programmes of the College together with other key personnel of the school.
5. Eunoia JC has been actively building up a leadership team of key personnel with a wide range of expertise and experience. All of its key personnel have previously taught at junior colleges across Singapore. The priorities of the team thus far have been to engage stakeholders to establish the vision, mission and values of the JC, to play an active role in the infrastructural design of the teaching and learning facilities, as well as to establish networks with partners, with the aim of exploring collaborations that will ultimately enrich students’ learning.
Eunoia Junior College’s College Advisory Committee
6. The College’s Advisory Committee has also been appointed effective from
22 December 2015 to 21 December 2017 for a two-year term. Members can serve in the Advisory Committee for three consecutive terms or continuously for six years.
7. The six-member committee consists of parents and alumni, professionals and businessmen, and grassroots leaders, who are key in galvanising and garnering support from the three partner secondary schools, each with a long history and distinct identity. They would also be key in value-adding to the distinctive programmes the College will offer, and engaging with stakeholders. The committee looks forward to promoting even closer relationships among members of the local community, the principal, teachers and students in the College. The committee currently comprises the following members:
- Professor Su Guaning [Chairperson], President Emeritus & Professor, Nanyang Technological University
- Dr Ruth Kam Cardiologist, Ruth Kam Heart & Arrhythmia Clinic
- Ms Elaine Yew Wen Suen, Managing Partner & Member of Global Executive Committee, Egon Zehnder
- Professor Chong Tow Chong, Provost, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Professor Francis Koh Cher Chiew, Vice Provost (Special Projects) & Professor of Finance (Practice), Singapore Management University
- Mr Teo Lai Hock(Dave), Supply Chain Director, Thales Solution Asia Pte Ltd