July 07, 2018
Launch of the Nabil Nabilah Reader Series for Primary 3 and 4 Students
To pique students’ interest in reading Malay texts, a group of teachers have come together to develop the Nabil Nabilah Reader Series, based on students’ life experiences in Singapore, for all Primary 3 and 4 students. The series will be distributed to all primary schools by September 2018.
2. Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Education and Chairman of the Malay Language Learning and Promotion Committee (MLLPC), Associate Professor Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim launched the Nabil Nabilah Reader Series on Saturday, 7 July at this year’s Fiesta Bahasa at the Canopy @ J-Link.
3. The Reader Series comprises a set of 20 books, with authentic stories that encourage young readers to cultivate a positive disposition towards reading during and beyond their Malay language lessons. Teachers can use the books to enhance students’ language learning experience in school, while at home, parents can tap on them to further cultivate the habit of reading in their children.
4. The Reader Series for Primary 1 and 2 was introduced in 2015 and feedback on it has been positive, with students responding well to the relatable storylines.
5. To entice students to read the books, the theme song of Nabil Nabilah produced by MLLPC was also launched at the event. In addition, there were twenty exhibition booths (please refer to the Annex for more details), featuring the books as well as reading and learning activities facilitated by teacher-authors.
6. About 800 participants took part in the fiesta this year, which featured storytelling sessions by Nek Selampit and the National Library Board. There were also performances by winners of the language competition, Ops Baca, organised by three Malay Activities Executive Committees (MAEC) from Bukit Batok East Community Club, Clementi Community Club and Nanyang Community Club.
7. For more information on the Nabil Nabilah Reader Series, please visit the MLLPC website at www.mllpc.sg.