October 31, 2018
Honouring Special Education Teachers and Schools
1. Four Special Education (SPED) teachers and three SPED schools will be recognised for their outstanding contributions in the education of students with special needs. This is the ninth year that the Ministry of Education-National Council of Social Service (MOE-NCSS) awards are being presented.
The Outstanding SPED Teacher Award
2. Four teachers will receive the MOE-NCSS Outstanding SPED Teacher Award (OSTA) for their passion, dedication and commitment in providing a well-rounded education for students with special educational needs. They are:
- Ms Pauline Cheng Pau Ling, AWWA School
- Ms Gena Tan Li Xin, Cerebral Palsy Alliance Singapore School
- Ms Maria Koh Phey Serh, Rainbow Centre – Margaret Drive School
- Ms Caroline Tan Swee Ping, St Andrew’s Autism School
3. A total of 275 nominations for 155 teachers were received from 12 SPED schools. The OSTA winners were chosen by a selection panel, comprising representatives from MOE, NCSS and partners in special education.
The Innovation Award
4. In recognition of schools’ innovations to enhance students’ learning, three schools were presented with the MOE-NCSS Innovation Award. They are:
- AWWA School
- Delta Senior School
- Grace Orchard School
5. A total of 10 schools with 23 projects were nominated for the Innovation Award 2018. The nominated projects showed the innovative and creative use of teaching and learning strategies and resources, with the goal of engaging students in their learning and preparing them better for post-school.
6. Information on the awardees can be found in the Annex.
7. The MOE-NCSS awards will be presented at the biennial SPED Conference on 2 November 2018.