August 20, 2018
Awards for 14 Pre-School Mother Tongue Language Teachers
1. 14 teachers will receive the Outstanding Pre-school Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Teacher Award from Ms Low Yen Ling, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Education at the 7th Mother Tongue Languages Symposium on Saturday, 18 August 2018. Six of them will receive the Outstanding Award, while the other eight will be presented with the Merit Award.
2. The award recipients were selected from a total of 106 nominations. The full list can be found in the Annex.
3. The Outstanding Pre-school Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Teacher Award recognises pre-school teachers for their passion in making the learning of MTLs engaging, and in nurturing a love for languages among pre-school children. It is jointly presented by the Committee to Promote Chinese Language Learning (CPCLL), the Malay Language Learning and Promotion Committee (MLLPC) and the Tamil Language Learning and Promotion Committee (TLLPC).
4. The selection panel for the award recipients comprised nine experienced pre-school educators and academics. They had conducted on-site lesson observations and interviews with the teachers as part of the selection process.
7th Mother Tongue Languages (MTL) Symposium
5. Into its seventh year, the MTL Symposium will bring together Singapore schools and the community to share their collective efforts in promoting MTL through creative and engaging programmes. The MTL Symposium is jointly organised by the Ministry of Education, CPCLL, MLLPC and TLLPC.
6. Themed “Our Mother Tongues as Living Languages”, this year’s Symposium focuses on helping children recognise their own MTL as a language relevant to their everyday lives, and to encourage its use beyond the classroom. It also strives to forge stronger partnerships among pre-school centres, schools and the community, to nurture our children to become active learners and proficient users of MTL.
7. Besides 32 sharing sessions and workshops, there will be 43 exhibition booths by pre-school centres, schools and various partners. These booths will showcase innovative teaching methods and community programmes. A list of activities and exhibitions at the MTL Symposium can be found at www.mtls.sg. Admission is free.