August 28, 2015
92 Students Awarded the Singapore-Industry Scholarship (SgIS)
Programme to groom future Singapore industry leaders sees first batch of SgIS scholars graduating and joining the workforce
1. 92 students received the Singapore-Industry Scholarship (SgIS) at the 2015 SgIS Award Ceremony today which was graced by Mr Heng Swee Keat, Minister for Education. This is also the first year that 34 scholars - comprising recipients from the inaugural batch of SgIS Full-Term scholars and SgIS Mid-Term scholars from 2013 and 2014 - will graduate and start work with their respective Sponsoring Organisations in the industry.
2. This scholarship is unique as it is the first multi-industry scholarship with a strong partnership between the Government and private enterprises to develop a strong core of Singaporeans to anchor strategic sectors that are critical for Singapore’s development. In line with the national SkillsFuture movement, which aims to provide Singaporeans with opportunities to develop their fullest potential through the mastery of skills, SgIS has a strong focus on meaningful industry exposure and skills development.
3. Whilst studying in university, scholarship recipients undertake induction programmes, internships and mentorships by senior management, as part of the SgIS Scholars’ Development and Engagement Programme, The Programme enables them to develop skills and gain industry-relevant professional experiences with their Sponsoring Organisations, expose them to have a broader perspective and nurture a culture of serving the community. It also helps scholarship recipients have greater certainty and clarity about their passion and career aspirations, integrate into the workplace much better and faster and contribute even more meaningfully as future leaders of key industry sectors in Singapore.
4. The number of Sponsoring Organisations participating in SgIS has grown over the years to 47 organisations this year, as they recognise the importance of grooming a core of Singaporean talent to give them the competitive advantage in a global market. They come from 16 wide-ranging industries, from engineering, aviation, tourism, power, maritime, healthcare, to arts and culture and social services (see Annex B for the list of Sponsoring Organisations). These are important future growth sectors which will meet critical needs in our society.
5. Since 2012, about 380 Singaporean students have received the SgIS scholarship. With a strong focus on skills mastery and continuous learning, SgIS will continue in its long term commitment to groom Singaporean talent into future industry leaders for the various strategic sectors in Singapore.