August 24, 2019
13 Pre-School Teachers Recognised at the 8th Mother Tongue Languages Symposium
1. Minister for Education, Mr Ong Ye Kung, and Senior Minister of State for Education, Mr Chee Hong Tat, presented the Outstanding Pre-school Mother Tongue Language (OPMTL) Teacher Award at the 8th Mother Tongue Languages Symposium on Saturday, 24 August 2019. This year, six dedicated pre-school teachers received the Outstanding Award and seven pre-school teachers received the Merit Award. The award recipients were selected from a total of 115 nominations. The list of award recipients can be found in Annex A.
2. The OPMTL Teacher Award – jointly presented by the Committee to Promote Chinese Language Learning (CPCLL), the Malay Language Learning and Promotion Committee (MLLPC), and the Tamil Language Learning and Promotion Committee (TLLPC) – recognises pre-school teachers for their passion in making the learning of MTLs engaging and in nurturing a love for languages among pre-school children. The selection panel for the award recipients comprised nine experienced pre-school educators and academics. They had conducted on-site lesson observations and interviews with the teachers as part of the selection process.
8th MTL Symposium
3. The MTL Symposium is an annual event co-organised by the Ministry of Education, CPCLL, MLLPC, and TLLPC. Into its eighth year, the MTL Symposium continues to bring together Singapore schools and the community to share their collective efforts in promoting MTLs through creative and engaging programmes.
4. Based on the theme “A Garden for Joyful Discovery”, the Symposium will feature an exploratory garden for children to discover the joy of learning MTLs through interactive and engaging activities. It also strives to strengthen the nexus between families, pre-school centres, schools and the community, in establishing a supportive ecosystem for the learning of MTLs.
5. Visitors at the MTL Symposium can catch the interactive MTL performances, attend any of the 40 sharing sessions and workshops or visit the 43 exhibition booths by pre-school centres, schools, and various partners. These booths showcase innovative teaching methods and various community programmes that aim to nurture children as active learners and proficient users of their MTL. A list of activities and exhibitions at the MTL Symposium can be found at www.mtls.sg. Admission is free.