August 18, 2017
13 Pre-School Mother Tongue Language Teachers Recognised
1. The Outstanding Pre-school Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Teacher Award recognises pre-school teachers for their passion in making the learning of MTLs engaging and in nurturing a love for languages among pre-school children. It is jointly presented by the Mother Tongue Languages Learning and Promotion Committees, and supported by the Lee Kuan Yew Fund for Bilingualism.
2. This year, seven pre-school teachers will receive the Outstanding award and another six pre-school teachers will receive the Merit award. Mr Ng Chee Meng, Minister for Education (Schools), will present the awards to them at the 6th Mother Tongue Languages Symposium on Saturday, 19 August 2017. The full list of award recipients can be found in the Annex.
3. The 13 award recipients were selected from a total of 96 nominations. The selection panel is formed by ten experienced pre-school educators and academics who conducted on-site lesson observations and interviews with the teachers as part of the selection process.
6th Mother Tongue Languages (MTL) Symposium
4. Into its sixth year, the MTL Symposium brings together Singapore schools and the community to share our collective efforts in promoting MTL through creative and engaging programmes. The MTL Symposium, jointly organised by the Ministry of Education and the Mother Tongue Languages Learning and Promotion Committees, will be held at the Suntec Singapore Exhibition and Convention Centre, from 11am to 8pm on Saturday, 19 August 2017.
5. Themed “Flourish in the Wonderland of Our Languages”, this year’s MTL Symposium will focus on making MTL learning come alive through an immersive and experiential approach for both children and their parents. It strives to forge stronger relationships with pre-school centres, schools and the community to nurture our children to become active learners and proficient users of MTL.
6. Besides 30 sharing sessions and workshops, there will also be 43 exhibition booths by pre-school centres, schools and various partners. These booths will showcase innovative teaching methods and community programmes that help to nurture children as active learners and proficient users of their MTL. A list of activities and exhibitions at the MTL Symposium can be found at www.mtls.com.sg. Admission is free.