- Provide a seamless education where secondary students can proceed to preuniversity without taking the GCE ‘O’ Levels.
- For students who can benefit from a more flexible and less structured programme and engage in broader learning experiences.
- Some IPs may offer alternative curricula and examinations, e.g. the International Baccalaureate.
Bicultural Studies Programme (Chinese) (BSP/C) & Special Assistance Plan (SAP) Scholarship
- 4-year programme from Secondary 3 to Pre-U 2.
- To nurture a core group of students with a deep understanding and appreciation of two cultures, so that they can interact effectively with China as well as relate to the West.
- In addition to Higher Chinese, students may offer electives such as Chinese history and Chinese philosophy.
- SAP scholarships are available for highly able students in the BSP(C). They provide a scholarship allowance of $1,000, funding for overseas immersion programmes and a waiver of school fees.
Elective Programme in Malay Language for Secondary Schools (EMAs)
- Offered to students who take up Higher Malay.
- To nurture the language ability of students who have an aptitude for the Malay language, so that they can reach a higher level of proficiency and a better understanding of Malay language, literature and culture.
Malay (Special Programme) [M(SP)]/ Chinese (Special Programme) [C(SP)]
- Allows students to study a non-native MTL (Malay or Chinese) as a third language.
- Previously open only to students in the top 30% of the PSLE cohort who meet certain language criteria.
- From 2006, this requirement has been lifted. Secondary 1 students are allowed to offer another MTL in addition to their native MTL, as long as they have the interest and inclination to do so.
Foreign Language Programme
- Foreign languages available are French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Malay, Bahasa Indonesia and Arabic.
- Offered to students who are ranked among the top 10% of the PSLE cohort and who have a natural ability to learn a foreign language, in addition to English and Mother Tongue.
- 4-year course that prepares students for the GCE ‘O’ Level Higher Art examination.
- Places equal emphasis on both the practical and theoretical aspects of Art and Design, and on visual and cultural studies.
- 4-year course that prepares students for the GCE ‘O’ Level Higher Music examination.
- Develops students’ musical perception skills. The course provides exposure to classical Western and traditional non-Western music.
The Enhanced Art Programme (EAP) was started in 2011 to provide greater opportunities for students with a keen disposition and ability in art to develop their talent. The EAP is an upper secondary programme that leads to the GCE O-level Art or Higher Art examination. It provides an enriched learning environment for students who are inclined towards Art.
The Enhanced Music Programme (EMP) was started in 2011 to provide greater opportunities for students with a keen disposition and ability in music to develop their talent. The EMP is an upper secondary programme that leads to the GCE O-level Music or Higher Music examination. It provides an enriched learning environment for musically inclined students.