The Language Elective Scholarship (CLES) for the study of Chinese at H2 Level is offered by the Ministry of Education to encourage academically able and linguistically talented students to pursue the Chinese language course at H2 Level under the Chinese Language Elective Programme (CLEP). The CLEP was first implemented in 1990. It aims to nurture the language talent of students who have an aptitude for Chinese Language so that they can attain a higher level of proficiency and a better understanding of Chinese Language and Literature. It also allows academically able students to become effectively bilingual. The CLEP and the CLES are offered at the following centres:
- Be Singapore Citizens;
- Have done consistently well in school and have obtained outstanding overall results in the GCE O-Level Examinations / equivalent results based on IP schools’ internal assessment;
- Obtain at least A2 in Chinese or B3 in Higher Chinese or B4 in Higher Chinese with B3 in Chinese Literature or equivalent;
- Have successfully been admitted to one of the CLEP centres and obtained a place in the CLEP;
- Have a good record of co-curricular activities;
- Have good conduct record; and
- Not currently be in receipt of any other MOE scholarship (except EESIS, ESIP and ESIS).
2018 application opens from 12 January to 28 February 2018.
For scholarship application, please login to the application system using your SingPass.
Important note: The application for a SingPass account and the 2-step Verification (2FA) take between 7 to 12 working days. Third-party SingPass is not allowed and will render the application void. Please factor this in to ensure you do not miss the deadline. For more information, please refer to https://www.singpass.gov.sg/
You may wish to refer to the MOE Pre-U Scholarships User Guide (5mb .pdf) when completing your online application.
All applications must be accompanied by an essay, of about 500-600 words, giving a brief write-up about themselves and stating why they would want to apply for this scholarship.
Please note that the application system will not be available on the following day(s):
- 4 February 2018 (Sunday) - 0000 hrs to 0800 hrs
- 6 February 2018 (Tuesday) - 1800 hrs to 2300 hrs
Selection for Scholarship Awards
Completed IP applications will be forwarded to their respective IP Schools/JCs for nomination/recommendation. IP candidates nominated/recommended by their IP Schools/JCs will be invited for the scholarship selection interviews.
Non-IP candidates will be selected for the scholarship selection interview based on their GCE O-Level Examinations results.
The scholarship selection interviews will be conducted in April/May. Interview details will be forwarded to candidates’ email account in April.
Results of the scholarship selection will be announced in June. Please note that only successful candidates will be notified.
Terms & Conditions
The scholarship provides an allowance of $1,000 per annum. It also covers school fees based on Singapore Citizens’ rates, subject to an annual cap of $2,400. It is tenable for 2 years, subject to satisfactory progress at the end of JC1 and good conduct. Successful applicants are not required to enter into a bond to serve the Singapore Government.
Successful applicants must offer 2 subjects at GCE A-Level and sit for the GCE A-Level examinations of these subjects:
- H2 Chinese Language and Literature Papers 1 and 2 (anchor subject); and
- another CL-related subject [H1 General Studies in Chinese or H2 China Studies in Chinese or H2 Translation (Chinese) or H3 Chinese Language and Literature].
There is no restriction on the choice of the remaining H2 Level subjects.
Successful applicants are also required to participate in the following activities organised by the Ministry of Education:
- Chinese Language Elective Programme (CLEP) Camp (3-day residential camp, held in early June for JC1 students);
- Overseas Study cum Immersion Programme (15-day tour, held during the year-end school holidays for JC1 students);
- Lecture Series (2 afternoon lectures, held at the beginning of JC2).