The Language Elective Scholarship (CLES) for the study of Chinese at H2 Level is offered by the Ministry of Education to encourage academically able and linguistically talented students to pursue the Chinese language course at H2 Level under the Chinese Language Elective Programme (CLEP). The CLEP was first implemented in 1990. It aims to nurture the language talent of students who have an aptitude for Chinese Language so that they can attain a higher level of proficiency and a better understanding of Chinese Language and Literature. It also allows academically able students to become effectively bilingual. The CLEP and the CLES are offered at the following centres:
- Be Singapore Citizens;
- Have done consistently well in school and have obtained outstanding overall results in the GCE O-Level Examinations / equivalent results based on IP schools’ internal assessment;
- Obtain at least A2 in Chinese or B3 in Higher Chinese or B4 in Higher Chinese with B3 in Chinese Literature or equivalent;
- Have successfully been admitted to one of the CLEP centres and obtained a place in the CLEP;
- Have a good record of co-curricular activities;
- Have good conduct record; and
- Not currently be in receipt of any other MOE scholarship (except EESIS, ESIP and ESIS).
2018 application is now closed. 2019 application will open after the official release of the GCE O-Level Examination results in January 2019.
Selection of Scholarship Awards
Completed IP applications will be forwarded to their respective IP Schools/JCs for nomination/recommendation. IP candidates nominated/recommended by their IP Schools/JCs will be invited for the scholarship selection interviews.
Non-IP candidates will be selected for the scholarship selection interview based on their GCE O-Level Examinations results.
The scholarship selection interviews will be conducted in April/May. Interview details will be forwarded to candidates’ email account in April.
Results of the scholarship selection will be announced in June. Please note that only successful candidates will be notified.
Terms & Conditions
The scholarship provides an allowance of $1,000 per annum. It also covers school fees based on Singapore Citizens’ rates, subject to an annual cap of $2,400. It is tenable for 2 years, subject to satisfactory progress at the end of JC1 and good conduct. Successful applicants are not required to enter into a bond to serve the Singapore Government.
Applicants must offer Chinese Language and Literature as one of their H2 subjects at one of the CLEP centres. There is no restriction on the choice of the remaining H2 level subjects. Applicants, however, are advised to take 4 H2 level subjects and consider other H2 level subjects that are preferably relevant to their proposed course of study at undergraduate level.
Successful applicants are also required to participate in the following activities organised by the Ministry of Education:
- Chinese Language Elective Programme (CLEP) Camp (3-day residential camp, held in early June for JC1 students);
- Overseas Study cum Immersion Programme (15-day tour, held during the year-end school holidays for JC1 students);
- Lecture Series (2 afternoon lectures, held at the beginning of JC2).