The Chinese Language Elective Scholarship (CLES) is offered by the Ministry of Education to encourage academically able and linguistically talented students to pursue the Chinese Language and Literature at H2 level under the Chinese Language Elective Programme (CLEP). The CLEP aims to nurture the language talent of students who have an aptitude for Chinese Language so that they can attain a higher level of proficiency and a better understanding of Chinese Language and Literature. The CLES is available at the following centres at the Pre-University level:
- Be Singapore Citizens;
- Have done consistently well in school and obtained outstanding overall results in their GCE O-Level Examinations / equivalent based on their IP school’s internal assessment;
- Have obtained at least A2 in Chinese or B3 in Higher Chinese or B4 in Higher Chinese with B3 in Chinese Literature;
- Have successfully been admitted to CLEP in one of the centres;
- Have a very good co-curricular activities record ;
- Have good conduct record; and
- Not currently be in receipt of any other MOE scholarship (except Edusave Scholarships).
2020 application opens from 13 January to 24 February 2020. No offline applications will be accepted beyond application deadline.
For scholarship application, please log in to the application system using your SingPass. Logging in through a third-party SingPass is not allowed and will render your application void.
Application for a SingPass account and the 2-Step Verification (2FA) can be done on the SingPass homepage. Upon successful registration, your SingPass will be mailed to your registered address within four working days. For immediate application, you may visit the nearest SingPass designated counter. This option is recommended if you are applying for the scholarship within the last week of the application cycle. Details can be found on the SingPass website at www.singpass.gov.sg.
You may wish to refer to the MOE Pre-U Scholarships User Guide (5mb .pdf) when completing your online application.
All applications must be accompanied by an essay, of about 500-600 words, giving a brief write-up about themselves and stating why they would want to apply for this scholarship.
Selection of Scholarship Awards
Completed IP applications will be forwarded to their respective IP Schools/JCs for nomination/recommendation. IP candidates nominated/recommended by their IP Schools/JCs will be invited for the scholarship selection interviews.
Non-IP candidates will be selected for the scholarship selection interview based on their GCE O-Level Examinations results.
The scholarship selection interviews will be conducted in April/May. Interview details will be forwarded to candidates’ email account in April.
Results of the scholarship selection will be announced in June. Please note that only successful candidates will be notified.
Terms And Conditions
The scholarship provides an allowance of $1,000 per annum. It also covers school fees based on Singapore Citizens’ rates less any subsidies, subject to an annual cap of $2,400. It is tenable for 2 years, subject to satisfactory progress at the end of JC1 and good conduct. Successful applicants are not required to enter into a bond to serve the Singapore Government.
Successful applicants must offer H2 Chinese Language and Literature. There is no restriction on the choice of the remaining subjects.
Successful applicants are required to participate in all compulsory CLEP activities organised by the school and the following activities organised by the Ministry of Education:
- CLEP Camp (3-day residential camp, held in early June for JC1 students);
- Overseas Immersion Programme (15-day tour, held during the year-end school holidays for JC1 students);
- Lecture Series (2 afternoon lectures, held at the beginning of JC2).