The Bicultural Studies Programme (BSP) Scholarship is offered by the Ministry of Education to encourage outstanding students, who have the interest and capacity to engage China’s culture and contemporary society, to pursue Chinese Language under the BSP. BSP Scholarship (JC1 Intake) is available at the following centres:
- Be Singapore Citizens;
- Have done consistently well in school and have obtained outstanding overall results in the GCE O-Level Examinations / equivalent results based on IP schools’ internal assessment;
- Obtain at least a B3 in O-Level Higher Chinese Language (HCL) or A2 in O-Level Chinese Language (CL) or equivalent;
- Have successfully been admitted to one of the BSP centres and obtained a place in the BSP;
- Have a good record of co-curricular activities;
- Have good conduct record; and
- Not currently be in receipt of any other MOE scholarship (except EESIS, ESIP and ESIS).
2018 application opens from 12 January to 23 February 2018.
For scholarship application, please login to the application system using your SingPass.
Important note: The application for a SingPass account and the 2-step Verification (2FA) take between 7 to 12 working days. Third-party SingPass is not allowed and will render the application void. Please factor this in to ensure you do not miss the deadline. For more information, please refer to https://www.singpass.gov.sg/
You may wish to refer to the MOE Pre-U Scholarships User Guide (5mb .pdf) when completing your online application.
All applications must be accompanied by an essay, of about 500-600 words, giving a brief write-up about themselves and stating why they would want to apply for this scholarship.
Please note that the application system will not be available on the following day(s):
- 4 February 2018 (Sunday) - 0000 hrs to 0800 hrs
- 6 February 2018 (Tuesday) - 1800 hrs to 2300 hrs
Selection for Scholarship Awards
Completed IP applications will be forwarded to their respective IP Schools/JCs for nomination/recommendation. IP candidates nominated/recommended by their IP Schools/JCs will be invited for the scholarship selection interviews.
Non-IP candidates will be selected for the scholarship selection interview based on their GCE O-Level Examinations results.
The scholarship selection interviews for both IP & Non-IP candidates will be conducted in April/May. Interview details will be forwarded to candidates’ email account in April.
Results of the scholarship selection will be announced in June. Please note that only successful candidates will be notified.
Terms and Conditions
The scholarship provides an allowance of $1,000 per annum. It also covers school fees based on Singapore Citizens’ rates, subject to an annual cap of $2,400. It is tenable for 2 years, subject to satisfactory progress at the end of JC1 and good conduct. Successful applicants are not required to enter into a bond to serve the Singapore Government.
Successful applicants must offer H2 China Studies (Chinese). There will not be any restriction on the choice of the remaining subjects. Applicants, however, are encouraged to take up H1/H2 Economics/Geography/History/Literature.
Successful applicants are also required to participate in the Overseas Study cum Immersion Programme organised by your school.