The Art Elective Scholarship (AES) is offered by the Ministry of Education to encourage academically able and artistically talented students to pursue the rigorous art programme at H2 and H3 Level under the Art Elective Programme (AEP) (1.34mb .pdf). AES is available at the following designated AEP centres:
- Be Singapore Citizens;
- Have done consistently well in school, obtained outstanding results in their GCE O-Level Examinations / equivalent results based on the IP school’s internal assessment and at least an A2 in Higher Art or A1 in Art;
- Have successfully been admitted to AEP in one of the AEP centres;
- Have a very good record of co-curricular activities;
- Have good conduct record; and
- Not currently be in receipt of any other MOE scholarship (except EESIS, ESIP and ESIS).
Short-listed candidates are required to present a personal portfolio comprising their artwork during the interview.
The art portfolio could include the following:
- Mini visual tasks/assignments that show a range of different media or artforms
- Works to show their artmaking processes (e.g. research and gathering of information and data, ideation/ brainstorm/ development of ideas, exploration and experimentation of ideas and materials)
- Pages from their sketchbooks and/or journals.
2018 application opens from 12 January to 23 February 2018.
For scholarship application, please login to the application system using your SingPass.
Important note: The application for a SingPass account and the 2-step Verification (2FA) take between 7 to 12 working days. Third-party SingPass is not allowed and will render the application void. Please factor this in to ensure you do not miss the deadline. For more information, please refer to https://www.singpass.gov.sg/
You may wish to refer to the MOE Pre-U Scholarships User Guide (5mb .pdf) when completing your online application.
All applications must be accompanied by an essay, of about 500-600 words, giving a brief write-up about themselves and stating why they would want to apply for this scholarship.
Please note that the application system will not be available on the following day(s):
- 4 February 2018 (Sunday) - 0000 hrs to 0800 hrs
- 6 February 2018 (Tuesday) - 1800 hrs to 2300 hrs
Selection of Scholarship Awards
Completed IP applications will be forwarded to their respective IP Schools/JCs for nomination/recommendation. IP candidates nominated/recommended by their IP Schools/JCs will be invited for the scholarship selection interviews.
Non-IP candidates will be selected for the scholarship selection interview based on their GCE O-Level Examinations results. Non-IP candidates admitted to the AEP during or after the Joint Admissions Exercise will be invited for the selection interview if they meet the short-listing criteria.
Non-IP candidates admitted to the AEP during the Direct School Admission Exercise and meet the short-listing criteria will be invited for the selection interview. Non-IP DSA candidates must fulfil nomination criteria of schools/JCs if they have been admitted to the schools/JCs through DSA based on special achievement in Art.
The scholarship selection interviews for both IP & Non-IP candidates will be conducted in late April. Interview details will be forwarded to candidates’ email account in early April.
Results of the scholarship selection will be announced in June. Please note that only successful candidates will be notified.
Terms and Conditions
The scholarship provides an allowance of $1,000 per annum. It also covers school fees based on Singapore Citizens’ rates, subject to an annual cap of $2,400. It is tenable for 2 years, subject to satisfactory progress at the end of JC1 and good conduct. Successful candidates are not required to enter into a bond to serve the Singapore Government.
Successful candidates must offer Art at H2 and H3 Level but there will not be any restriction on the choice of the remaining subjects. Candidates, however, are advised to consider other H2 Level subjects that are preferably relevant to their proposed course of study at undergraduate level.