The Art Elective Scholarship (AES) is offered by the Ministry of Education to encourage academically able and artistically talented students to pursue the rigorous art programme at H2 and H3 level under the Art Elective Programme (AEP). The AES is available at the following centres:
- Be Singapore Citizens;
- Have done consistently well in school and obtained outstanding results in their GCE O-Level Examinations or equivalent based on their IP school’s internal assessment;
- Have obtained at least an A1 in Art or an A2 in Higher Art;
- Have successfully been admitted to AEP in one of the AEP centres;
- Have a very good of co-curricular activities record;
- Have good conduct record; and
- Not currently be in receipt of any other MOE scholarship (except Edusave Scholarships).
Short-listed candidates are required to present a personal portfolio comprising their artwork during the interview.
The art portfolio could include the following:
- Mini visual tasks/assignments that show a range of different media or artforms
- Works to show their artmaking processes (e.g. research and gathering of information and data, ideation/ brainstorm/ development of ideas, exploration and experimentation of ideas and materials)
- Pages from their sketchbooks and/or journals.
2020 application is now closed. 2021 application will open after the official release of the GCE O-Level Examination results in January 2021.
Selection of Scholarship Awards
Completed IP applications will be forwarded to their respective IP Schools/JCs for nomination/recommendation. IP candidates nominated/recommended by their IP Schools/JCs will be invited for the scholarship selection interviews.
Non-IP candidates will be selected for the scholarship selection interview based on their GCE O-Level Examinations results. Non-IP candidates admitted to the AEP during or after the Joint Admissions Exercise will be invited for the selection interview if they meet the short-listing criteria.
Non-IP candidates admitted to the AEP during the Direct School Admission Exercise and meet the short-listing criteria will be invited for the selection interview. Non-IP DSA candidates must fulfil nomination criteria of schools/JCs if they have been admitted to the schools/JCs through DSA based on special achievement in Art.
The scholarship selection interviews will be conducted in late April. Interview details will be forwarded to candidates’ email account in early April.
Results of the scholarship selection will be announced in June. Please note that only successful candidates will be notified.
Terms and Conditions
The scholarship provides an allowance of $1,000 per annum. It also covers school fees based on Singapore Citizens’ rates less any subsidies, subject to an annual cap of $2,400. It is tenable for 2 years, subject to satisfactory progress at the end of JC1 and good conduct. Successful applicants are not required to enter into a bond to serve the Singapore Government.
Successful applicants must offer H2 and H3 Art. There is no restriction on the choice of the remaining subjects.
Successful applicants are required to participate in the AEP activities organised by the school and the Ministry of Education.