Spectra Secondary School to Admit Students from 2014
Spectra Secondary School, the second specialised school for Normal (Technical) students, will admit students from January 2014. The school will provide a customised and practiced-oriented curriculum to suit the learning needs of its students. It will also work closely with the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) and industry partners to develop programmes and attachment opportunities for its students.
The name “Spectra” represents the school’s philosophy of recognising the different spectrum of talents and strengths of the students. The school aims to nurture and develop these strengths and instil self-confidence in their students.
Located at Woodlands Drive 64, Spectra Secondary School will have a Secondary 1 intake of up to 200 students. In subsequent years, places will be set aside for mainstream schools students who wish to transfer mid-stream to Spectra Secondary School.
Board of Directors
A Board of Directors has been appointed to oversee and guide the development of the school. Board members will serve a three-year term. They will bring to the school their collective wealth of experience and expertise from the private and public sectors. This will help the school in facilitating stronger industry and community partnerships.
The Board comprises the following members:
- Mr Andrew Kwan, Managing Director of Commonwealth Group (Chairman)
- Mr Tai Lee Siang, Group Managing Director, Ong & Ong Pte Ltd (Deputy Chairman)
- Ms Aidaroyani Adam, Assistant Director, Education Department, Yayasan MENDAKI
- Dr Ang Kiam Wee, Principal, College Central, Institute of Technical Education
- Mrs Chua Yen Ching, Director, Curriculum Planning & Development Division, Ministry of Education
- Mrs Kwan Lui, Founder Director, At-Sunrice Global Chef Academy
- Mr Allen Law, Director, Park Hotel Group
- Mr Low Cheong Kee, Managing Director, Home Fix Pte Ltd
- Ms Rosan Basha, Director (Project Teach/Content & Resource), Education Division, SINDA
- Mr Tham Tuck Seng, Partner, Head (Capital Market Group), PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Mr Wong Lup Wai, Managing Director, TP Vision Singapore
- Ms Dawn Yip, Operations Director, Jean Yip Group
Spectra Secondary School will offer N(T) English, Mathematics and Mother Tongue as part of a four-year N(T) secondary school education. Greater focus will be given to building strong foundations in literacy and numeracy through a variety of ways based on a whole-school approach.
The school will also focus on Citizenship and Character Education through programmes in Personal and Social Learning, Physical Education and Aesthetics as well as Co-curricular Activities to enhance the students’ holistic development. These programmes will address their socio-emotional needs, personal development and enhance the learning of life skills.
Spectra Secondary School will also customise its teaching approach to suit the learning styles of its students. The pedagogy adopted will emphasise skills-based activities and practical learning in the real-world context or workplace setting. In order to facilitate its skills-based pedagogy and programmes, Spectra Secondary School will have a class size of about 20.
A tie-up with ITE will allow students to take ITE taster modules at lower secondary, before specialising in an ITE Skills Certification (ISC) at upper secondary in one of four areas - Facility Services, Mechanical Servicing, Retail Services or Hospitality Services. These ISC courses are aligned with NITEC courses or industries that students can join after graduation. Spectra Secondary School will work in close partnership with ITE and industry partners to provide opportunities for attachments and internships for its upper secondary students.
The purpose-built school campus will house specialised facilities such as a retail outlet training room, a bistro, food and beverage training rooms, a housekeeping training room, as well as mechanical and electrical servicing laboratories.
Mr Krishnan Aravinthan, the former principal of Bedok South Secondary, has been appointed as the principal of Spectra Secondary School. He is an experienced principal who cares deeply about student learning and staff well-being, and strives to provide both students and staff a supportive environment to achieve their goals and aspirations.
Spectra Secondary School has started recruiting teachers. As part of their professional development, these teachers will attend in-service training courses to deliver the new customised programmes, curriculum, and pedagogy, and there will be continual training in areas like classroom management, counselling, curriculum, pedagogy, and assessment. ITE will also second its lecturers with relevant industry experience to the school.
Spectra School students will graduate with GCE N(T)-level qualification1. They will also graduate with ISC qualifications and receive a School Graduation Certificate (SGC) as a holistic record of their achievements2. With the GCE N(T)-level and ISC qualifications, graduates of Spectra Secondary School can progress to further education opportunities at ITE, employment or apprenticeship opportunities at trade-based institutes.
- If there are students who enrol in Spectra Secondary, but are found suitable to offer the N(A) course subsequently, Spectra Secondary will facilitate their transfer to a secondary school with the N(A) course. Spectra Secondary will also be able to support students who are found suitable to offer one or two subjects at the N(A) level.↩
- The SGC consolidates a student’s achievements in the academic and non-academic domains, and includes an assessment of the student’s personal qualities.↩