Release of 2011 GCE O-Level Examination Results and 2012 Joint Admission Exercises for Junior Colleges, Millenia Institute, Polytechnics and Institute of Technical Education
The results of the 2011 Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level (GCE O-Level) Examination will be released on Monday, 9 January 2012.
School candidates may collect their results from their schools at 2.00 pm on 9 January 2012. Private candidates will be informed of their results by post. They may also access their results through the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board website from 2.00 pm on 9 January 2012.
Students can apply for Junior Colleges (JCs), Millennia Institute (MI), Polytechnics and the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) via the Joint Admissions Exercise (JAE) using their GCE O-Level results. Students who wish to apply only to the Polytechnics can also do so via the Joint-Polytechnic Special Admissions Exercise (JPSAE).
Joint Admissions Exercise
The JAE is conducted annually by the Ministry of Education (MOE) to allow those who had sat for the GCE O-Level Examination to apply for admission to courses offered by the JCs, MI, Polytechnics and ITE.
The following groups of applicants are eligible to participate in the JAE:
- All Singapore Citizens (SCs) and Singapore Permanent Residents (SPRs) with valid GCE O-Level Examination results.
- International students studying in a government school, government-aided school or independent school in Singapore with valid 2011 GCE O-Level Examination results.
The JAE registration period is for 5 calendar days, starting from 3.00 pm on Monday, 9 January 2012 and ending at 4.00 pm on Friday, 13 January 2012.
Applicants are to submit their application online through the JAE Internet System (JAE-IS), which is accessible through the JAE website.
- Eligible applicants who sat for the 2011 GCE O-Level Examination will receive ‘Form A’ on the day of the release of examination results (i.e. 9 January 2012). Form A will list:
- The applicant’s GCE O-Level Examination results;
- The courses which he/she is eligible to apply for under the JAE; and
- His/her JAE-PIN (i.e. a personal password for the applicant to access the online internet registration system).
- Applicants are strongly advised to complete the course application worksheet (provided in both Form A and the JAE information booklet) before submitting the online application via the JAE-IS. Applicants who have completed their worksheet prior to logging on to the JAE-IS should be able to complete their applications on the JAE-IS in less than 15 minutes.
- Applicants are required to use their NRIC or FIN number, together with the JAE-PIN that is provided in their Form A, to access the JAE-IS. A SingPass is not required.
- Applicants must provide a local mobile phone number during registration through JAE-IS if they wish to receive the results of their JAE application through SMS text messaging.
- For SCs/SPRs applicants who did not sit for the 2011 GCE O-Level Examination:
- They are required to use their NRIC and SingPass to access the JAE-IS.
- Alternatively, they may apply personally at MOE Customer Service Centre during the JAE registration period. To do this, applicants are required to bring along their original identity card, original GCE O-Level Examination certificate(s)/result slip(s) and Secondary School report book and/or CCA Certificate(s).
During the registration period for the JAE, all JCs, MI, Polytechnics, ITE and secondary schools will also make available computing facilities for students to make their applications online. The participating ITE campuses are ITE College Central (Balestier, Bishan, MacPherson, Tampines and Yishun campuses), ITE College East (Simei campus) and ITE College West (Choa Chu Kang campus).
An application fee of $7 will be charged for the first application, and $10 for amendment of choice(s) to the submitted application. JAE applicants are allowed to amend their submitted application once only. They will not need to make their fee payment online during the JAE period. All JAE application fees will only be collected after the exercise, by the institution (i.e. JC, MI, Polytechnics or ITE) that the applicant is eventually enrolled in.
Results of Application
The posting results of the JAE application are tentatively scheduled for release on 30 January 2012 through the following modes:
- JAE-IS which is accessible through the JAE Website;
- Short Messaging System (SMS) to the mobile phone number provided by applicant during registration
For more details on the JAE, applicants can refer to:
- JAE Website; or
- MOE Customer Service Centre at 6872-2220 during office hours
Joint Polytechnic Special Admissions Exercise
The JPSAE complements the existing JAE, by allowing polytechnics to consider applicants based on a broader measure of merits beyond performance in the GCE O-Level Examination. It allows the polytechnics flexibility to consider admitting students who have demonstrated a strong passion or aptitude through work attachments, sustained involvement in course-related projects and outstanding performance in competitions. Students with outstanding talents, achievements in leadership, community service, entrepreneurship, sports, and artistic and creative areas may also be considered. Each polytechnic will have the discretion to determine its own means of assessing applicants’ talents and achievements, including through portfolios and interviews. The polytechnics will set their selection criteria to ensure that only applicants who are able to cope with the rigours of a diploma education are admitted.
The JPSAE will be conducted, together with the JAE, from 9 to 13 January 2012. A student can apply concurrently to both the JPSAE and JAE. Successful applicants may be offered a course under the JAE and the same or another course under the JPSAE. Students who are offered courses under both JAE and JPSAE can decide to accept one of the two offers during the enrolment period set by the Polytechnics.
Details on the JPSAE can be found at http://www.polytechnic.edu.sg/jpsae and on the respective polytechnics’ websites.