Tamil Language Entrance Proficiency Test
The Tamil Language Entrance Proficiency Test (TL EPT) is applicable to candidates applying to teach Tamil Language.
The test comprises 2 parts:
- Part 1 involves a test of oral proficiency: it requires candidates to read a passage aloud and deliver a short speech without notes on a given topic. Candidates will be given a few minutes to preview the reading passage and to prepare for the talk.
- Part 2 is a test of knowledge in grammar, vocabulary usage and stylistic features of the language. Candidates will also be tested on reading comprehension.
Candidates who fulfil any of the criteria below are exempted from the TL EPT.
- Pass degree graduates in Tamil Language / Literature from UniSIM OR any universities from Tamil Nadu, India OR
- Applicants who scored an ‘A’ Level pass with at least a Grade C in Higher Tamil (formerly known as TL1) OR at least a Grade B in Tamil (formerly known as TL2) at the GCE ‘A’ Level examination OR
- Applicants who scored at least a Grade B in H2 Tamil Language and Literature at the GCE ‘A’ Level Examination OR
- Applicants who scored at least a Grade B in H1 Tamil Language at the GCE ‘A’ Level Examination OR
- Applicants who scored at least a Grade A2 in Higher Tamil (formerly known as TL1) at the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination OR
- Applicants who scored at least a Grade 5 in Tamil at the International Baccalaureate Examination.
TL EPT Test Dates for 2013
|Test Dates||Registration Period|
|1 Apr 2013||4 Mar 2013 (Mon) - 8 Mar 2013 (Fri)|
|7 Oct 2013||9 Sep 2013 (Mon) - 13 Sep 2013 (Fri)|
Details on the EPT tests and registration dates can be found at the Regional Language Centre’s Entrance Proficiency Test page. You are strongly encouraged to register early as there are limited places per session.
The cost of sitting for the written and oral tests is S$110.00 nett. Each component test (written or oral) costs S$55.00 nett. The registration fee is non-refundable. No refund of payment will be given to candidates who register but did not sit for or withdraw from the test.
After your payment has been made, you will receive an official receipt. Applicants will be scheduled to sit for the EPT on the next earliest available test date. Notification of test dates, time and venue will be sent to applicants 1 to 2 weeks prior to the test.
Statement of Result
Candidates will receive a Statement of Result indicating a ‘Pass’ or ‘Fail’.
The result is valid for a period of 4 years.
Please note that requests for review of results will not be entertained.