English Language Entrance Proficiency Test
The English Language Entrance Proficiency Test (EL EPT) is applicable to candidates applying to teach English medium subjects. From 2013, MOE has commissioned the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB) to administer the English Language Entrance Proficiency Test.
The test comprises 2 parts:
- Speaking component (20 minutes): Candidates will be required to introduce themselves, read a passage aloud and deliver a monologue. This will be followed by a few minutes of dialogue with the examiner.
- Writing component (100 minutes): Candidates will be required to complete a piece of situational writing (200 to 300 words) followed by a short expository essay (approx 450 words).
Candidates who fulfil any of the criteria below are exempted from the EL EPT.
- Honours degree / Pass with merit / Pass degree graduates / Final year undergraduates with English Language or English Literature as the major Subject OR
- Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in General Paper (English) / Grade B in H1 General Paper / Grade B in H2 Knowledge and Inquiry at the GCE ‘A’ Level Examination OR
- Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Language (EL1) at the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination OR
- Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Paper 121, 1120 or 1119 at SPM OR
- Applicants who scored at least a Grade 5 in English at the International Baccalaureate Examination OR
- Applicants who scored at least an overall cap of 3.5 in English Language in the NUS High School Diploma.
From 2013, candidates who are not exempted from EL EPT will be required to sit and meet the minimum requirements for the test before they can be deployed to schools as untrained teachers. These candidates will be scheduled by MOE to take the test. No rescheduling of the test date will be allowed, unless under exceptional circumstances. Candidates will be informed by email on the test date and payment details.
The cost of sitting for the EL EPT is S$120.00 (inclusive of GST). The registration fee is non-refundable. No refund of payment will be given to candidates who register but do not sit for or withdraw from the test.
Notification of test date, time and venue will be sent to candidates 2 weeks prior to the test.
Statement of Result
The results of the EPT will be released 5 weeks after the test date. The result will be indicated in a Statement issued to candidates. The test result is valid for a period of two years from the date of the test.
Candidates will receive a Statement of Result indicating that they have met or not met the minimum requirements of the test.
If a candidate does not meet the minimum requirements of the EL EPT, he/she will only be allowed to retake the test 6 months after their test date. Partial retakes of the EL EPT are not allowed.
Please note that requests for review of results will not be entertained.
Download the Test Format and Sample Papers (265kb .pdf)